Bicycle Riding and Wrist Pain
What Is Bicycle Riding and Wrist Pain?
After enjoying a ride on your bike, do you experience numbness, tingling, or pain in your arm, hand, and wrist? If you do, you could be suffering from an overuse injury. Approximately one-third of all bicycling overuse injuries involve the hands. The two most common injuries are handlebar palsy and carpal tunnel syndrome. By making some adjustments to your bike and by wearing some protective equipment, you can prevent these injuries from occurring.
To prevent this from happening to you, here are some adjustments to follow:
• Adjusting your handlebars, seat, and pedals
• Adjusting your bike to be in the upright position to take pressure off of your hands and wrists
• Taking more breaks when on a long ride
• Switching the weight from your palms to the outside of your hands as often as you can
• Wearing padded gloves and having padded handlebars
• Completing hand and wrist stretches before riding
At Barrington Orthopedic Specialists, we want you to enjoy your bicycle ride, not constantly be in pain. Following these tips will be key to relaxing and enjoying your ride. For more information on wrist pain, call Barrington Orthopedic Specialists.
Our team is here for you
We offer the best, least invasive and least aggressive options to relieve your pain and symptoms so you can get back to the life you love. Barrington Orthopedic Specialists Spine Care Center has convenient locations in Bartlett, Buffalo Grove, Elk Grove Village and Schaumburg.