MEET THOMAS S. OBERMEYER, M. D.
Dr. Thomas Obermeyer is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder surgery and sports medicine. He has completed advanced fellowship training among the most highly regarded academic physicians in the United States and in Europe.
He is recognized as a leading shoulder subspecialist, offering state of the art arthroscopic repair, complex shoulder replacement, and revision shoulder surgery. His practice also focuses on the knee, including arthroscopy, ligament reconstruction and repair, and replacement. His individualized treatment approach emphasizes minimally invasive techniques for expediting surgical recovery and properly counseling patients as to expectations regarding their treatment options.
An award-winning researcher, Dr. Obermeyer has published articles on shoulder replacement innovations and biological improvements in fracture treatment. He is a recognized educator, having published a number of book chapters and continues to lecture and teach labs across the country as faculty.
When not seeing patients, Dr. Obermeyer enjoys baseball and ice hockey, sports he previously competed at the collegiate level. He enjoys fishing, a pastime he developed during his youth growing up in Alaska.
CLINICAL AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Shoulder Conditions & Treatments
- Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Instability Repairs
- Second Opinion/Revision Shoulder Surgery
- Knee Conditions & Treatments
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Knee Ligament Reconstruction/Repair
- Knee Replacement
- Elbow Conditions & Treatments
- Sports Medicine
- Work Related Injuries
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NYHonors
- Summa Cum Laude
- Doctorate of Medicine, Albany Medical College, Albany, NYHonors
- Magna Cum Laude
- Research Distinction, Extracurricular Research Thesis
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- General/Orthopedic Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Mentored Under Evan Flatow, M.D.
- Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY
- Shoulder Surgery, Orthopedic Center Santy, Lyon, France
Mentored Under Gilles Walsh, M.D.
- Orthopedic Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Magis Award Outstanding Patient Care
- Board-Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
SURGERY CENTER AFFILIATIONS
Opioid-Free Shoulder Arthroplasty: Are We There Yet?
Dr. Obermeyer offers new and innovative ways to improve pain after shoulder replacement, limiting the requirement for opioid pain medication.
Dr. Obermeyer was selected to serve as surgeon faculty for resident physicians training to learn shoulder surgery. His teaching position was part of an annual course offered through the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons at the cutting edge Orthopedic Learning Center in Rosemont, Illinois.
Dr. Obermeyer Discusses The Rotator Cuff
Dr. Obermeyer Discusses Shoulder Arthritis