At Barrington Orthopedic Specialists, we understand the debilitating effects that thumb arthritis can have on your daily life. That's why we are proud to offer comprehensive care for this condition, including a range of conservative treatment options designed to help you regain strength and mobility in your thumb.
Our team of experienced orthopedic specialists are trained to diagnose and treat all forms of thumb arthritis, from mild cases to more advanced conditions. We believe in offering our patients non-invasive treatment options whenever possible, such as physical therapy or oral medications, to provide fast and effective relief without the need for surgery.
For more advanced cases of thumb arthritis, Dr. Mark Yaffe specializes in a single-incision procedure that can help restore function to the joint with minimal disruption to surrounding tissues. This technique offers a faster recovery time and less postoperative pain than traditional surgical methods.
At Barrington Orthopedic Specialists, we are committed to providing personalized care that meets your unique needs. Schedule an appointment with our team and begin your journey to a full and speedy recovery.
Leading-Edge Treatment for Arthritis of the Thumb
Thumb arthritis is a condition where the joint at the base of the thumb becomes worn or damaged, leading to pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility in the thumb.
Some common symptoms of thumb arthritis include:
- Pain or discomfort in the base of the thumb, particularly when gripping or pinching objects
- Swelling or stiffness in the thumb joint
- Reduced range of motion and flexibility in the thumb
- A sensation of grinding or clicking in the thumb joint
- Weakness or instability in the thumb
If you suspect that you may have thumb arthritis, it's important to see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and to discuss your treatment options.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help to manage symptoms of pain and inflammation.
- Splinting: Wearing a splint or brace can help to stabilize the thumb joint and reduce discomfort.
- Injections: Corticosteroid injections can help to reduce inflammation and provide relief from pain and swelling.
- Physical therapy: Exercises and stretches can help to improve strength and mobility in the thumb.
- Surgery: Joint reconstruction or replacement may be needed in severe cases of thumb arthritis. Dr. Yaffe specializes in a single-incision technique to reduce pain and scarring.
With proper care and management, most people are able to find relief from their symptoms and regain full use of their hand.
What are some common causes of thumb arthritis?
Thumb arthritis can be caused by wear and tear on the cartilage that cushions the bones in the joint, as well as genetic factors, previous injuries, or medical conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.
Where is Barrington Orthopedic Specialists located?
Barrington Orthopedic Specialists has multiple conveniently accessible locations across the greater Chicago area. Our offices can be found in:
- Bartlett, IL
- Buffalo Grove, IL
- Elk Grove Village, IL
- Schaumburg, IL
How can I get started with the best thumb joint specialists near me?
At Barrington Orthopedic Specialists, we make it easy to get started with the top upper extremity specialists in Illinois. Just use our to select a time that works for you, and we’ll be in contact shortly.