Jason Rotstein, MD
Please take a moment and let us know how your experience was.REVIEW US
Jason Rotstein, MD
Introducing Dr. Jason Rotstein
Important Information from Dr. Rotstein:
Dr. Rotstein's Videos:
Returning to Sports After Lockdown
Dr. Rotstein's Lecture at AMITA
In the News:
Sherry, who completed her total knee replacement at BOS with Dr. Jason Rotstein, was kind enough to answer a few questions for us about her experience:
Hello Sherry! Tell us about your symptoms before your knee replacement. How was your condition affecting your daily life?
The symptoms I had before my knee replacement were:
- Knee pain when going up and down stairs
- Inability to run, jump, march
- Knee issues prevented me from getting the most out of physical activity. For example, I couldn't play pickleball the way I should (couldn’t run to/after the ball, difficulty running up to the net, etc)
- Could not take long walks the way I used to due to some uncomfortableness during and after the walk.
- Uncomfortable to ride a bicycle (getting on and off the bike).
- Unstable after sitting for a period of time needed to stand and wait for the knee to engage prior to walking
- My knee joint was deformed and I couldn’t fully straighten my leg
What ultimately led you to choose total knee replacement surgery?
I wanted to be able to enjoy life and do the things I used to be able to do. I wanted to participate in activities that I enjoyed. I also wanted to keep up with my granddaughter better!
What brought you to Barrington Orthopedic Specialists and Dr. Rotstein? What stood out to you about the practice?
I had been to Barrington Orthopedic Specialists prior to my knee replacement and liked the practice. Dr. Rotstein was recommended to me. I read the reviews and decided to get a consultation with him. I was impressed by him and the office. The office is timely and efficient. I liked that I could have an x-ray right on the premises and get immediate feedback. I never had to wait more than a few minutes to be seen by the doctor or his team.
How was your experience with Dr. Rotstein and the team at BOS? How did they help you prepare for your procedure?
My experience with Dr. Rotstein was outstanding! The people on Dr. Rotstein’s team are friendly and personable. They made me feel comfortable at all times. Dr. Rotstein explained the procedure for the total knee replacement in terms I could understand. He made sure I had all my questions answered. Even though I was very concerned about the surgery, he (and his team) made me feel comfortable and confident everything would be fine.
In addition, Dr. Rotstein had a very calming demeanor when he met with me in the hospital just prior to the surgery. That visit put me more at ease about the whole procedure!
Your procedure utilized the MAKO Robotic Arm-Assisted Surgery device. What did you think of the technology involved in your surgery? Do you think it made a difference in your results?
I think the Robotic Arm-Assisted Surgery device was critical to the entire procedure. It also gave me more comfort knowing the technology wouldn’t allow more cutting than necessary! I think it made a big difference in my results and I am extremely pleased that Dr. Rotstein used that technology!
What was your recovery process like? How did the BOS team assist you? What was the most rewarding part of post-op rehabilitation? The most difficult part?
The recovery process was long and required a lot of work to gain range of motion back as soon as possible. The BOS team was extremely helpful immediately after the surgery for several weeks. Any time I had questions or concerns, I called them and they answered my call in a timely fashion. They never made me feel like I was bothering them!
The best part of the post-op rehab was the RomTech machine. The RomTech bike helped my knee loosen up during the day, even on the days I didn’t have physical therapy. At first I was scared that it would hurt, but I soon learned that the motion of the bike made my knee feel better! I looked forward to going on it first thing in the morning and at night prior to going to bed. I also used it during the day, but I found it especially helpful first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I also think this helped with physical therapy because it made me heal faster so that PT was not that painful!
The most difficult part of the post-op rehab was the swelling of the entire leg! I was surprised at how long the swelling lasted. The post-op required lots of icing throughout the day, as well as, making sure to do the PT exercises at home every day. Another difficult part of recovery was knowing when/how to reduce the pain medicine. Dr. Rotstein provided information to help know when to reduce the narcotics and then just use over-the-counter medication.
How is your new knee? Is your rehabilitation complete, or still in progress? How has your life improved?
My new knee is wonderful!! I can fully straighten my knee again. I don’t have pain in my knee and I can do things I couldn't do prior to the surgery. I can sit in a restaurant at a table for an hour and then just get up and go without having to wait for my knee to engage.
Additionally, I went on a 12-hour car trip without any problems! My knee was not uncomfortable at all during the ride and I could get out of the car without any hesitation. I can now go on longer and faster walks without feeling uncomfortable or tired!
Even though I am not supposed to run right now, I did try it. I can’t believe I could actually run again after so many years of not being able to do that (even if it was for only a few seconds). While I still can’t yet play pickleball, I know my game will be much improved!
What would you say to someone else considering total knee replacement surgery?
I would say they should definitely use Dr. Rotstein at BOS. As a matter of fact, I have already suggested Dr. Rotstein to a couple of friends! I know several people who have had total knee replacement surgery from other doctors, and they did not recover as quickly and as well as I did.
Thank you for answering these questions for us!
- Posted OnNovember 6, 2023Review Author AnneVery Pleasant, Quick, Questions Easily and Professionally Answered … Took time to explain how and what needs to be done with injury … Very Caring Dr .
- Posted OnAugust 16, 2023Review Author LouDr Rotstein was great, diagnosed the issue and clearly explained options and possible outcomes..
- Posted OnJune 26, 2023Review Author AnonymousI felt very impressed with Dr. Rotstein he listened to me with my concerns about what is going on with my arm,and let me know what I can do I felt I was treated well as a patient and not just a number
- Posted OnApril 26, 2023Review Author JuneEveryone was very nice and profession. Dr. Rotstein very thorough and responded to all my needs.
- Posted OnFebruary 23, 2023Review Author JenniferVery concise, takes a lot of time to explain things!! Very knowledgable and quick turnarounds, very clear timeline of what to expect moving forward!
- Posted OnFebruary 22, 2023Review Author RonaldDr Rotstein was very thorough both his exam and answering all my questions. He set up a good plan.
- Posted OnFebruary 16, 2023Review Author AnonymousDr . Jason Rotstein is the best He has helped me with my left knee, left hip, and now both shoulders. He is kind, patient , very knowledgeable and explains everything clearly and easy to understand . He is very thorough and I trust him and believe in him He is the best Orthopedic Surgeon in the country . I would recommend him to anyone having problems with their knees and shoulders Thank You, Dr Rotstein for your great care
- Posted OnJanuary 9, 2023Review Author AnonymousDr. Rotstein is the very best!! I feel very fortunate to have him as my doctor.
- Posted OnJanuary 6, 2023Review Author AnonymousDr. Rotstein was not only very professional but at the same time gave me personalized care. He answered all of my questions & made me feel completely comfortable. I would definitely recommend him to any and all family & friends. He provided excellent service & I had a very positive experience. Loved the way he made me feel like more than just a patient.
- Posted OnNovember 15, 2022Review Author judyVery caring, knowledgeable, honest, and reassuring.
- Posted OnNovember 9, 2022Review Author DeniceBeen going to Dr. Rotstein for years. He always takes time to listen to me and together we come up with a game plan.
- Posted OnOctober 25, 2022Review Author NickServices rendered on time and very professional. Everyone I was with was very polite and helpful.
- Posted OnOctober 24, 2022Review Author DanFirst time here and extremely impressed with the service and quality of care
- Posted OnOctober 20, 2022Review Author AnneThis was my 1st visit with Dr Rotstein. He is knowledgeable, professional, kind & caring. Dr Rotstein made me feel comfortable & relieved my anxiety immediately. His staff, including Connor, his physician assistant, & the girls at the front desk were great also. Thank you all so much for such a great experience!
- Posted OnOctober 17, 2022Review Author FallonJason Rotstein is a godsend to me. From the moment I entered the doors to the office, I felt welcomed, cared for, and completely at ease. Dr. Rotstein has gone above and beyond to be sure that my complete health and wellness have been made first priority. He is extremely knowledgable and personable. I never was made to wait at his office. And if ever I needed to contact him or his staff, they were super speedy in responding by my inquiries. The office is inviting and his beautiful staff members are friendly and helpful in every way. I have very complicated knee problems that haven’t really been seen by many doctors. Dr. Rotstein researched about the rare deformity my knee had. He was very involved in my post op and helping rehabilitate my knee after surgery. He really cares for his patients and should be very proud of his work. I would recommend him to anyone who is having any knee issues.
- Posted OnOctober 13, 2022Review Author StevenAttentive and caring medical expertise is what I hoped for and what I received.
- Posted OnOctober 12, 2022Review Author AnonymousWas very pleased with Dr Rotstein’s & staff’s professionalism & care.
- Posted OnOctober 10, 2022Review Author HiAwesome Doctor that listens to the patient and takes his time answering questions.
- Posted OnOctober 5, 2022Review Author AnonymousDr Rotstein is professional, knowledgeable, reassuring & easy to understand
- Posted OnOctober 2, 2022Review Author AnonymousI wasn’t able to get in to see my regular orthopedic dr when i called with knee problems for 2 weeks . I couldn’t wait that long so my daughters recommended Barrington orthopedics! i called they were so kind to find me an appointment that day! place was so hugh and beautiful. Got me in and out so fast i couldn’t even believe it! i kept telling all of them how impressed i was. I would sit for hours waiting at other practice. I told dr Rotstein he was fantastic and i think I found a new doctor! He said we would love to have you! Can’t say enough good things about this practice ! All positive!!
- Posted On